Going out for a camping trip with your family? Then you are in need of a good tent. Not only good but tents that will survive the waves of bad weather such are rain, wind, and cold. Today, we will be talking about the best family tents made for bad weather.
Before you buy:
It can be quite tempting to just pick up anything within your budget, but you need to remember you are going to be camping with your family! Gone are the days when you can camp out in a bad weather with just a hammock and a tarp. You need to consider some things before buying, and those are:
- Large Vs Small: Smaller tents tend to be designed for backpackers. But when you are going to be camping with your family you will need ample space. So be sure to get a tent that is big. And as you will be camping with your family, generally, you will have lots of baggage. So the larger the tent the better.
- Pricing: When it comes to picking a tent for your family, then don’t go for cheaper ones. Because you get what you pay for. Cheaper tents are likely to break down easily. And when you have your family inside it, with your younger ones wrestling inside, you don’t want to take a chance. So be sure to have a good budget and pick something that will last especially for a bad weather.
- Weight: When we talk about tents for bad weather we need to keep the weight in mind. You would want to pick up something that is heftier. Because the heavier the tent is the better. You don’t want to take chances with your family inside, especially on a rainy, windy or a cold night!
- 3 VS 4 Season Tent: Whilst it can be tempting to get 4 season tent to last whole year round but you should reconsider the option. 3 season tents tend to be better for rainy and windy weather. If you go out camping especially during these seasons then you are likely to face rain and high wind. So pick a 3 season tent. However, 4 season tent is made for all year round but are best for colder weather. 4 season tent is mostly used for solid shelter. So pick wisely depending on the weather condition.
- Center-Height: When choosing a tent for your family, especially when camping in bad weather, you need to consider the center height. Chances are you will need to spend a chunk of your camping trip inside the tent. So, the higher the center height the better. It will give you more space and enough room to breathe. Overall, get a tent that is large and has a good center height without a too much slanted roof.
- Flooring: Flooring is extremely crucial especially when going out on a camping trip during the rainy season. You need to consider between a regular floor and bath-tub floor. Bathtub floor will keep the water out during the rainy season. However, the caveat is the bath-tub floor will also keep the water inside if it gets in. So you need to be cautious with your wet boot and probably keep it outside the tent if it is raining heavily.
Best Family Tents for bad weather:
- Coleman WeatherMaster.
- Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent.
- Arctic Oven 12 with Vestibule.
For Rainy and Windy Weather:
First up we will be taking a look at a few family tents made to withstand the rainy and windy weather. You would want a tent that is heavy and very well protected. This will help you keep water out. So without further ado, let’s take a look at a couple of family tents for rainy and windy weather.
First up we start with the Coleman WeatherMaster, the name should give you an idea of the build of this tent. Coleman is a very well known brand in the outdoor gear industry. Coleman did not fall short with this tent. This can easily fit a family of 5-6. Even though this is built for 10 people but during bad weather chances are you’ll be staying inside your tent for a prolonged period of time. You don’t want the interior to be congested and have no breathing room. The tent also comes with WeatherTec system and with patented welded floors to keep you dry in heavy rain.
If you want to withstand heavy rain and wind then you need to pick up a very heavy tent. When it comes to protecting you from bad weather the Coleman WeatherMaster is a beast. The tent has 75D 450mm PU coating of polyester taffeta. Polyester taffeta is a very tightly woven material and will keep the inside of the tent secure from rain and win at the same time protecting the outside. It also has Rainfly which will protect your from heavy rain, you can put the Rainfly on top of the mesh roof. The mesh roof will allow for sunlight to come in if there is no rain or wind. To seal off the tent it has a front door which is hinged and a zippered back door which will make it easy to come in and go out.
Overall, the build quality is great and will keep you and your family safe from heavy drizzle and high wind. To put it short this is one of the best family tents for bad weather such as rain and wind. Take a look at the video below to fully understand the build quality of this tent!
Coming to the interior of the tent, it is massive. The tent can fit 3 queen size air beds which should give you an idea of the overall size. The size of the tent is 17×9 feet and a center height of 6 foot and 8 inches. Which means you can easily stand up inside the tent unless you are a giant. Enough room space is a necessity especially during bad weather and you are with your family. Even though the tent is built for 10 people, those 10 people should be really close to each other to be able to fit in.
Generally, a tent for 10 people should comfortably fit in 5-6 people. Like many other tents from Coleman, the floor is equipped to keep out the moisture. However, during bad weather, you would want to lay down a tarp before setting up your tent. This will ensure to keep the moisture and rain outside the tent.
Overall, this is a great family tent for the price. However, you should also pick up a seam sealer to make it much more waterproof. The added protection will help your family stay wet-free during bad weathers. Setting up this tent can be daunting. You can pick up tent kit from Coleman to make the job easier. And little help from your family you are ready to go camp out in bad weathers.
2.Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent:
Next up we have the Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent. This tent is quite big and great for bad weather. The tent can easily fit in 5 to 7 person inside it without it being cramped. The pole is extremely easy to setup due to the dome shape structure. The tent is held in place with only three poles. This tent can be easily labeled as one of the best value tents due to the fact that it is so big and durable for the price.
Coming to the build quality of the tent, it is very well-built. The tent is weighed at 34 pounds. Which is quite hefty and should give ample protection from heavy rain and wind. The tent is free standing and has poles made up of fiberglass and steel built upright to give the tent extra support. The tent has two large doorways for easy access to the tent and also has 6 windows. But don’t worry! The windows can be zipped shut, which will definitely help your family during bad weather. The roof is made up of mesh and there is an added tarp that you can use to protect against rain.
To put it short, the interior of the tent is very spacious. The tent has an 87-inch center height. Which means you can easily stand and have enough breathing room once you are inside with your family. And chances are you will be spending quite a lot of time inside with your family especially during bad weather. And the best thing about the roof is that they are not very slanted which makes the interior much more spacious than some tents. The interior of the tent has some mesh pocket storage, polyester fly, steel stakes and guy ropes. These are likely to help your camping trip much easier.
To conclude, this is a very good tent. The spacious living space will help you, especially when camping with your family. With bad weather, you will need to spend a lot of the time inside, having a large space inside the tent will help you breathe freely and not be cramped together. The dome shape is quite unique and gives and makes it much sturdier as a result. Overall, this tent will help your family camping trip during bad weather.
For Cold Weather:
Now, coming to the tent for cold weather. If you are going to be camping with your family during cold weather, your tent needs will be different. You would want something that has great insulation to protect you against the cold. Just an FYI the Coleman WeatherMaster is also great for cold weather and it’s great for a family. So do check it out as it can be used for both rainy and cold weather! Anyhow, let’s check out a family tent for cold weather!
Arctic Oven 12 with Vestibule:
So, lastly, we will be checking out the Arctic Oven 12 with Vestibule. Mind you this is an extremely heavyweight tent for serious backpackers and campers. This can be easily reflected by the price the tent comes at. We already have done an in-depth review of Arctic Oven 12 with Vestibule, click here to check it out. Regardless of the weather, be it minus something or freezing cold, this heavyweight tent will protect you and your family. This warm and cozy tent is very comfortable and is a 4 season camping tent.
The material used to construct this tent is known as Vapes. The water-repellent material of this tent produces zero condensation which will keep your family very warm inside during cold weather. The fly of the tent is well-built with durable thick 200 deniers heavy duty 4 oz which makes it extremely sturdy! The tent fly is also coated with oxford nylon which is great and will protect you against heavy cold weather! The floor is also 200-denier heavy-duty 4 oz. urethane and coated with oxford nylon. The tent has one large door with one screen window in the door and also another one in the back wall.
The anodized aluminum frame of this tent makes it very well stable and incredibly stable. The tent comes in at 78 pounds which is quite heavy and should protect you against bad weather. Another great thing about the material of the tent is that it is made of fire-resistant material.
The interior of this tent is very spacious. The tent is built for heavy duty and for extremely bad weather. You can fit in a stove and cook inside. However, if you are not planning to cook inside the tent you can easily fit in a family of 4 or 5 people inside it. The tent has a center height of 7 feet and 2 inches. Which makes it quite roomy and spacious with a total living space of 152 square feet. If you are camping with your family then chances are you will have a lot of baggage. The awesome thing about this tent is that it comes with a vestibule. The vestibule storage area is 46 square feet and can easily store all your baggage.
To conclude, this is the best camping tent you can get! Undoubtedly this is the best family tent for bad weather such as extreme cold. You and your family will be safe and sound inside it. And if you want you can also cook inside, which is great for bad weathers. The only drawback of this tent is its price. However, if you camp very frequently during bad weathers with your family then this is the choice to go for.