Camping is a very exciting activity. However, sometimes the rain can ruin your whole camping trip. Some may see rain as a threat and some as an opportunity. If you love the rainy season and want to connect with nature during it through camping, then, oh boy, you sure need some great tents! Not just any tents, because you will end up drenched to the bone if your tent is not properly waterproofed. Today, at Umly.org we will be taking a look at some of the best tents for the rainy season. So without further ado let’s just get started with the procession.
Camping with your family during bad weather? Then check out our review of the best family tents for bad weather.
Before you buy:
Before you get excited and all warmed up to go out and buy the perfect tent for the rainy season you need to keep some things in mind. And those are:
- Budget: When buying a tent keeping your budget in mind is very crucial. Things can get way overboard and you might end up spending over your budget especially when picking up a tent. A tent is a hobby product and you should try to stay within your budget. However, you should get the best tent you can possibly get when it comes to camping in extreme weather such as rain.
- 3 season vs 4 seasons: If this is the first time you are buying a tent then you might be confused between 3 and 4 season tent. You might think, ‘well a 4 season tent should suffice you all year round and why not pick it up’. This is where you are wrong! 4 season tents are made especially for colder weathers and are heavily insulated and not very breathable. For heavy rain and windy weather, you should possibly pick up a 3 season tent as they will help you much more during the rainy season. Overall, it depends on your need. If you live in a cold and windy area then 4 seasons should be your pick. But if you want to camp in a swampy area which faces heavy rainfall and gets really warm then 3 seasons should be your pick!
- Spacious? If you are a lightweight backpacker and want to keep everything to a minimum then your tent needs will be different than someone who will be camping with their family during the rainy season. For a family, you would want a tent that is very spacious. You don’t want to be trapped inside with your munchkins jumping and screaming especially when it is raining outside! DON”T WORRY! We got you covered and we will be taking a look at few tents that will suffice different living space needs.
- Fabric: When camping during rainy season you definitely don’t want a cotton canvas tent. Picking the right fabric is very important if you want to survive the heavy rain. Make sure to pick up a tent with nylon and polyester as they are the best tent fabric for rainy weather.
- Build Quality:
Best Tent For Rainy Weather:
- MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent.
- Marmot Tungsten 3P Tent.
- Coleman WeatherMaster.
MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent:
To start off, we have the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent. As the name suggests this is indeed a backpacking tent which is quite lightweight. So, don’t expect it to be very spacious. If you are a regular backpacker who needs shelter from heavy rain then this is the tent you should be looking at. Not only will it protect you from heavy rain but it is also quite lightweight, making it easy to carry when going on a backpacking trip.
This tent is a very well built tent with a balanced and thoughtful design. Even though the tent is only 3 pounds 13 ounces it is very durable and sturdy. Unlike many tents, this very tent can handle the rain very easily. The 20-denier ripstop nylon is quite durable and should be able to survive bad weather. The tent has 2 large StayDry doors with rain-gutters built-in. This should help keep the interior water-free. Some key features of the build:
- The floor is 30-denier.
- Two StayDry doors.
- Easy to set up the tent.
- The rainfly is 20-denier (should help you protect against rainfall).
- Comes with an ultra-compact compression sack to minimize the footprint of the tent when traveling.
Now, coming to the interior of this tent, this is a 2 person tent for backpacking. Backpacking tents are usually not very spacious and are very minimal. The MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent is quite spacious even for a backpacking tent! It is quite roomy and can fit 2 people easily. This tent has two large side-entry vestibules in which you can store your gear and others belongings. There is a ridge pole in the center, which opens up and creates a vertical sidewall. This makes the tent quite spacious and does not make it very cramped. Which means, during heavy rainfall you can stay inside without feeling suffocated.
Overall, this is a great tent especially if you want to stay lightweight when going on a backpacking trip. The main drawback of this tent is that it won’t be of great help to protect you against very cold weather. So if you are going to camp in a very cold place then you should avoid getting this tent. Also, if you do decide to get this tent then make sure to practice setting up this tent multiple times at home. As setting up the tent can be a bit tricky especially if it is your first time trying. All in all, this is a very lightweight tent and should be able to protect you from rainfall and is one of the best tent for camping in the rain. Do check it out.
Marmot Tungsten 3P Tent:
Next up we have the Marmot Tungsten 3P tent. To put it short and simple, this is a heavyweight tent and will help you protect against harsh weather condition such as heavy rainfall. A single glance at this bad boy will tell you that it is made to protect you! So if you are in for a 3 person tent which will also protect against rain then this is the one to go for. The Marmot Tungsten 3P is a 3 season tent. The freestanding tent can be used for both backpacking and camping. Some notable features:
- 2 Vestibules.
- Weighs over 5 pounds.
- Floor surface is 41.3 square feet.
- Has interior pockets made up of mesh.
- Nylon Zippers which are jingle-free.
As stated above, this tent is a very well built tent and should protect you from bad rainy weather and such. To protect you from rain there is a fly coated with 68D polyester taffeta PU. Marmot Tungsten 3P is a free-standing tent which is made of 2 layers. The tent has a hub x-shaped construction which looks like a dome and makes it quite durable especially for a free-standing tent. The weight of the tent is a bit over 5 pounds and has 2 doors/vestibules. The tent can be easily opened and closed with the help of the jingle-free nylon zipper pulls.
The Marmot Tungsten 3P is a 3 person tent. This tent is usually used for backpacking but is quite spacious and can easily fit in 2 people. However, with 3 people inside the tent, it can get a bit congested especially during rainy weather when you have to spend a lot of your camping or backpacking time inside the tent. The floor surface is 41.3 sq ft and is coated with 68D polyester taffeta PU. Also, in the interior of the tent, we can find 2 lamp shade pockets and mesh pocket.
To conclude, this is a very good tent especially if you are going to be camping or backpacking with another person. The tent is very easy to set up and the material is quite good. This is really one of the best tents for rainy weather due to the great build quality. The only possible drawback could be that it can be quite tough to fit in 3 people easily and great for camping in the rain. Do check this tent out!
Lastly, we have is the Coleman WeatherMaster tent. The name should give you an indication why we listed this as one of the best tents for rainy weather. If you are looking for a very spacious tent which can fit in your family then this is the tent to go for. You do not want to buy smaller tents especially if you are going to be camping with your family during rainy weather. Even if it is raining cats and dogs you and your family will be safe and sound inside this tent. Not only that, the tent is big enough that all of you will not feel congested especially with small kids jumping up and down due to their excitement.
When it comes down to protecting against heavy rainfall the Coleman WeatherMaster is a beast. The 75D 450mm PU coating of polyester taffeta is enough to withstand the heavy drizzle. As you know, polyester taffeta is a very tightly woven material and will keep the water outside of your tent making the interior dry during a heavy drizzle. The tent comes with a rainfly which you can install on top of the mesh roof and should protect against rain. Overall, the build quality is great especially for a tent this size.
The inside of the tent is massive, to say the least. The tent can fit in 3 queen size beds, which should give you an idea of how spacious it is inside. The tent measures at 17 x 9 feet and has a center height of 6 feet and 8 inches. Center-height is very important especially for bad weather as the higher the center height the more spacious and breathable the tent is. Even though the tent can fit in 10 people, but fitting 10 people would mean the space would be very tight and not the best option if it is raining outside. However, it should comfortably fit in 5-6 people without any trouble.
All in all this huge tent is great with very little to complain about and is frankly one of the best tent for camping in the rain for a family. You would want to lay down a tarp before setting this tent up. As it will keep the water from getting inside the tent. The only main concern with this tent is packing it once you are done with camping. It can be quite tough to unfold and pack this beast.